Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The society

When we see how the society here is changing so fast, people would say that it the society here is multi-cultural but I would say it is becoming a culture crasher. When you look at how the people here behave, they no longer are attached to their religion or culture and if you ever ask them why they are acting in a certain way they give answers like we are 'westernized' or 'trying to fit in', but fit in where? Can't you just try to learn good things from other societies but still never forget who you really are?

When you walk in a mall and an emiraty woman gets asked why she is wearing what she is wearing, while another lady who is barely wearing anything is never asked, and also is best served anywhere she goes!

When you see people smoking around children and no one comments on that because the people who are smoking are not locals and so no one should say anything to them, everyone is expected to welcome them with open arms no matter what they do or how they dress, and when you come to think of it, this would probably never happen in an American or most European cities, I'm not saying that those cities or the people living in them are any better than us, but why can't the people here take the good qualities in the so called western society?

What point did we reach when little boys comment about 'two men going to the same toilet cubicle' and when little girls are insulted in their face because they are emiraties. Smoking is accepted, the Hijab is mostly worn as a cultural dress not as a religious dress.

People are judged by what they are wearing, what car they are driving or what bag they are carrying.

These are only simple things, there is much more that my fellow bloggers already mentioned, my point of writing all that is, shouldn't we as Muslims protest and try to change this, if not as Muslims then maybe as people with morals and values who are expected to raise their children in this society that is becoming worse and worse everyday.

That was me ranting to myself at 3 in the morning, so excuse the mistakes. :P

17 comments:

Arabized said...

i'm with ya!

It makes me soo angry when I see people smoking in front of their children. Push aside the bad image you are showing,but the mere HEALTH HAZARD! How can a child or infant protest?! You are slowly killing your own flesh and blood. Doesn't look like they give a rats ass.
They don't seem to care about a number of issues.

How can you raise your children when everyday its just getting worse and worse? Things are become accepted when they shouldnt be accepted at all. Does it not phase anybody that a woman in her own country is being asked by a fellow muslim woman why is she covering herself? whats the point? i mean why are you covering yourself to this degree?

WTF?! YOU ARE JOKING RIGHT?

What happened to modesty? Being humble? What happened to our fellow MUSLIMS?

When the only role models found are barely dressed, 75% plastic and uneducated singers.

I SAY PROTEST! PROTEST LOUDLY!

I'm taking my seeds with me, I can't imagine my children growing up in such atmosphere. If i didn't come at an age when i was morally sound and had firm grasp of my religion, i would have long been lost.

BuJ said...

hello there!
just a quick comment to say mabrook on your new blog.. inshalla yitrabba bi3izzek (which literaly means may it grow in your nobility)

good stuff!

Arabized said...

I PROTEST! no one dares insult my future husband!

and duh you say ' wa 3layak' when someone says 'yitrabba bi3izzek'.
haha honest to god i have no idea either. :p

Arabized said...

*3layk

stupid arabic/english

meh.

MJ said...

But that doesn't make any sense!

I don't think I trust your Arabic Biz. sorry. haha.


and protest if you want, no one will listen or care. Isn't that how things are done here?

Arabized said...

well thats bad for you because i know where you live, and we'll just have to take it up at your house or OTHER PLACES.

muhahaah.
best sleep with one eye open!

MJ said...

hey! calm down! What did I say now?!

and remember, I know where you live! and remember where you are going tomorrow! no mama there woman! haha! (6)

Arabized said...

but YO MAMA will be there. so HA!

MJ said...

Not all the time! But the other MAMA will me there! too bad.

anyways, I know where your B3eers are!

Arabized said...

you leave my b3eers out of this!

Man other mama is useless, the other mama will go cry to boody if anything happens. pfffft.

i take all of you on!

BuJ said...

i just read this post a bit more thoroughly.. very good point made about the dress..

when i am in a mall (it's rare) I generally act in a polite way towards women who have the hijab (regardless of being emirati or otherwise), for example I will hold the doors for them, especially if they are holding babies. However, if I see one with too much flesh I generally let the door springs do their work :)

on a very different topic, both of you remind me of twins living in the same bedroom but sharing one of those double-decker beds and the one in the bottom beating the hell out of the top one with her legs before sleeping...

amusing stuff

MJ said...

Yes, the dress. I don't even start talking about it all. I was practically dancing in class when I read about opening the doors for women with hijab! Emarati men usually do that. Saudi men NEVER do that! I swear it soo gets on my nerves and I SHOW it. Once I was in KSA and the guys who came after keep going into the left before us! They were running to the elevators! so I RAN to one too, when they men came I said ' Any ladies?' and I would guess they were about to go call the police! mwhahahaha!

Hahaha. Me and Biz twins! People always think we are crazy. but good crazy. and Biz is the one who always start the beating!

BuJ said...

don't worry.. i studied scientific subjects all the time.. and even now after graduating i still connect very strongly with my artistic side through literature and music.

ya3ni studying scientific stuff isn't that bad after all.

Arabized said...

yea i studied scientific also, but in the american system there is no such thing. When entering university i decided on the sciences.


wait why am i talking about this?

MJ said...

and Buj, I don't mind science. wait, did I say that before?

BuJ said...

i was just amused at your relative childish ways, i am not actually asking about your ages... it's the same tone that a cross father asks his kids when they do something wrong.

as for the post with the name, i've deleted it already. however i noticed that you used the name as well.

Arabized said...

haha it keeps us young at heart?

;)

If we weren't like this, we'd be uptight,cynical and bitter.

haha im kidding. :p