Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Chance Favors the Connected Mind


Steven Johnson: Where good ideas come from – Steven Johnson (2010) 

Chance favors the connected mind. That was Johnson’s last sentence in this TED talks presentation in which he spoke about researching where ideas come from.
He gives points that support the theory that ideas build slowly over time, that are more likely to happen in chaotic environments (such as the coffee house in the age of enlightenment  in England) and when people share thoughts and problems, this is also known as the liquid network.

The slow hunch is that an ideas is never just  suddenly one thing that is clear in your head but rather a process that builds over a period of time slowly. He gave an example of Darwin mentioning in his autobiography that he came up with the theory of natural selection in an eureka moment but when a scholar looked at Darwin’s notebooks he found that he had the theory months before he had the euphony.  The point from this is that ideas build over a period of time. 

This is only a very short summary of the TED talk I watched but you can also read more about it in his book (Where Good Ideas Come From: The Natural History of Innovation) and you can watch this video which is a summary of the book on YouTube, I rather enjoyed watching it because of the way it explains everything by drawing it.

Most of the ideas I had (Good and bad) didn’t happen while I’m sitting down and pushing myself to think of an idea, and most of my ideas I remember having while talking to someone about something unrelated to the issue and suddenly I would get this idea and usually end up saying out something unrelated to the conversation and confuse the person I’m talking to. The other time that I had any good ideas was just before going to sleep when I’m half awake and when I wake up in the morning if I didn’t write it down I would wonder if I actually dreamt it. Then there are the ideas, most of these are at work, when I discuss the issue I’m trying to resolve with a colleague and find a great new idea together.

No comments: