Sunday, September 24, 2006

Ramadan

One of my favorite things about Ramadan is going to pray Taraweeh in the Masjid because you go pray and come back and have nothing to do, nothing to worry about. If I decided to pray at home, I will end up praying after 11 and doing nothing before that except sitting and thinking how lazy I feel after Iftar. Anyways, so Friday night I was excited waiting for them to say if tomorrow is Ramadan or not so I can go pray.

My sister made the mistake of telling my grandmother who was visiting that Saturday is Ramadan before they announced it and didn't she get a look! No physical harm was done though.

Apparently my grandmother says that Saturday can't be Ramadan because President Gaddafi said that it's Ramadan before Maghirb in Libya, so as far as my grandmother know, if any other country said Saturday is Ramadan then they're just following Gaddafi. It's nothing new though, she's always saying for one reason or another that those people don't know anything and they give us the wrong dates.

My sisters and I then walked to the Masjid to pray – that Masjid is one of my least favorite. The architecture is so beautiful but the people who pray there are just nasty. They ladies smell so awful that I keep wondering how can they stink like that, what did they eat or do to smell like that – I though it was impossible. Also, every woman would come with her herd of kids who would play around, scream and run. It was a typical nightmare in Ajman.

Yesterday, we came back to Alain and went to pray in the Masjid near our house, it's such a nice Masjid and the Imam, masha'allah, is so good (people from all over Alain come to pray in it) and people smell nice here. The secret is to find an old lady and pray next to her – they always have gallons of perfume on them.

I wonder what we are having for Iftar today...

10 comments:

Arabized said...

praying next to an old lady who is a loud whisperer :/

1234dsfs said...

and people smell nice here

LOL

Arabized said...

yea they do ;)

people in al ain know whats up!

MJ said...

Biz,

Yes, I feel like slapping a lady who whispers out loud when she's praying. It makes me go chaponchakachechacho.

Ahmed,
I didn't mean for it to sound like that! (People in Ajman smell and people here doesn't!) NOT AT ALL! It's just the Masjid and people who pray in it.

Anonymous said...

which masjid in al ain are you talking about??

MJ said...

Anon,
I tell you which masjid, you know where I live, you ask one question in the neighbourhood and I'm known. Meh, sorry, can't.

Arabized said...

today I was thinking about that gold masjid with the morrocian architecture near al jimi mall. I havent checked it out yet, I wonder how the taraweeh there is?

anybody gone to that one yet?

1234dsfs said...

Thats the Bin Hammodah Mosque. Lots of cars lined on the road and the parkings are packed. The taraweeh finishes at 9.30. A friend goes to pray there. I was planning to go today but my laziness got over me. Will go tomorrow or the day after inshallah.

Also heard the Imam is the best in AlAin.

@MJ: LOL @ your stalker.

Arabized said...

Bin Hamooda Mosque you say?
hehe.
Al AIN IS SO SMALL! I swear everybody knows everybody.
You should go check it out with a friend "motivate" you to go.

Hmm i'll check it out and see if its the best.

Most masjids in al ain finish at 9:30. Unless its the motor mouth Imams reciting :/

There is a masjid in the jimi area (can't remember the exact name). A lot of people go there. I didnt like it that much, they spray too much bokhour and different perfumes and it makes me dizzy and the Imam takes forever, it finishes at like 10.

MJ said...

ahmed,

You should find a 'taraweeh buddy'