Monday, December 19, 2005

Books

Veronika decides to die – Paulo Coelho

Veronika seems to have everything she could wish for. She is young and pretty, has plenty of attractive boyfriends, goes dancing, has a steady job, a loving family. Yes Veronika is not happy; something is lacking in her life. On the morning of November 11th 1997, she decides to die. She takes an overdose of sleeping pills, only to wake some time later in Villete, the local hospital. There she is told that although she is alive now her heart is damaged and she has only a few days to live…
This story follows Veronika through these intense days as, to her surprise, she finds herself drawn into the enclosed world of Villlete. She begins to notice more, to become interested in the other patients. She starts to see her past relationships much more clearly and understand why she had felt her life had no meaning. In this heightened state, Veronika discovers things she has never really allowed herself to feel before; hatred, fear, curiosity, love – even sexual awakening. Against all odds, she finds she is falling in love and wanting, if at all possible, to live again…


I want to read that book! I didn't like the only book I read by Paulo but I think I will like this book more!

I also finished reading Leo the African, it took me such a long time to finish which really annoyed me so I stayed up last night really late to finish it and I did. I liked the book more than I thought I would. I don't know how true is the history in the book, which didn't really matter much to me because I don't know much about the history of that time, it was interesting to read a book written about a different place and different people than Henry VII, and to think that the two books talk about the same time and lives so different.

17 comments:

Arabized said...

I told you leo africanous is awesome! I've been telling you to read it since.. JULY! goodness.


on another note, i don't think
i would read this book. >>Veronika decides to die – Paulo Coelho<<
Sorry :/

I'm not saying it won't be good, but i didnt like the excerpt.

I mean how could you not like the alchemist?!

ok ok i'll give it a rest, i'll stop pestering you about it. :p

BuJ said...

I guess one would want to read a book if they can see a reflection of their life in the story of the book.

It took me a few months to finish Leo the African, you seem to be a quick reader. Reading slowly and understanding more is sometimes better.

MJ said...

>>I guess one would want to read a book if they can see a reflection of their life in the story of the book.<<

hmmm. I'm trying to think what in that book is about my life... Maybe the idea of committing suicide? :P haha.

I want to read the book because I like reading books that makes me appreciate life more and especially the small things.

Arabized said...

>>hmmm. I'm trying to think what in that book is about my life... Maybe the idea of committing suicide? <<

eh?

thats not funny :/

MJ said...

Hey! I don't want to commit suicide anymore! don't worry!

what die and leave all my books for you to play with? no way! you got to be kidding!

Arabized said...

oh don't get someone's *ahem ahem* car?! ;)

Sorry tooo busy to comment lately.

(today was a success right?!) :)

MJ said...

If I committed suicide. i die. and so you don't get 'someone's' car.

oh wait. I can write in my will that they should give you the car, they will have to do it because they love me! :D

oh wait wait. are you saying you want me and someone to DIE! *glares*

#$#%$^#%^&^&^&^R*^%*%^&%$$#

Arabized said...

i thought the deal was (and i remember it clearly) if someone or anyone i remotely know dies, i get a certain persons car. I GOT WITNESSES who heard that also.

and of course i don't want you to die, but if someone else dies and i get a car, why not?

i'm kidding. walllllllllah.

MJ said...

ohmygod. i'm shocked. you actually want someone to die! *goes to jump off the roof*

I don't remember that, and how can it be? if someone dies you get another persons car?

Arabized said...

i dont want anybody to die, astaghfrallah!!! we've been around death too much in the past couple of months, enough is enough.

AND PUT YOUR GOD DAMN SEAT BELT ON, OK?!

BuJ said...

MJ you've mentioned suicide twice in less than a month.. is it a coincidence or a manifestation of something more serious?

MJ said...

Biz,

Yes sir!

Buj,

>>MJ you've mentioned suicide twice in less than a month.. is it a coincidence or a manifestation of something more serious? <<

It's a joke from my crazy childhood and nothing more!

the parrot is trying to eat my chocolate! *is yelling at the parrot to go back to Africa*

Arabized said...

HAHAAHAH GO BACK TO AFRICA?!


'GO BACK TO CH-I-N-A ....'

(anyone seen donnie darko?)

MJ said...

I know it is go back to China BUT he is from AFRICA!


and Donnie Darko is weird, but I like it and I like MAD WORLD! ... reminds me of calculus. :S

Arabized said...

HAHAHAH

when people run in circles..its a.. MADDDD WORLD

MJ said...

And I find it kind of funny,
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which i'm dying,
Are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you,
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
its a very very Mad World Mad World

Arabized said...

:P