Saturday, December 03, 2005

Is that what they think?

It is always interesting to know what the other side thinks and why do they do such things that you don't agree with them, because maybe if you know why they are doing it then you would be able to explain to them why you think what they are doing is wrong. Maybe it will change both sides perspective.

I was walking in a mall in Dubai with family and friends last week and the people we saw, what they are wearing and the way they are acting was just so inappropriate. Just as we were leaving and my mother was fid up with all that she saw these group of women and one of them was wearing such a low waist jeans with a white boxer under it, that just pissed mother off and so she went to her and said 'excuse me, your underwear is showing' The lady lowered her underwear when mother told her that, but the other lady said to her 'it's ok, it's a free country' and they walked away. Mother followed them and said 'it's not a free country, it a Muslim country. You are free in your country but not here.' The ladies just walked away and went in a taxi. By the time I was told what happened and my friend wanted to go lecture them they were in a taxi.

Is that what people think? That this is a free country and they are free to wear whatever they want? If that is what they think then they need someone to tell them that that is not the case. This is a Muslim country; they should respect that and the culture.

After thinking about that for hours I thought is that what everyone wants or only me and a small group of people? Maybe most people don't care about it anyway, I don't think I would have cared as much as I do now, I mean I won't even think of it if not for my family and the way this drives them crazy.

I don't want to sound like I'm against foreigners living here; they are part of this country's foundation. I just wish they would respect the religion and culture more. I'm confused. :S

6 comments:

Arabized said...

Why do I feel judged when I enter malls in Dubai? Why do people stare at me insanely? I'm just an ordinary muslim mutahajiba. I wear ordinary Islamic clothes with a hijab.

People automatically assume I don't know or understand english. They expect me to speak broken english.

For example when I entered Virgin Mega Store in Mall of the Emirates, the employees at the store were just bluntly staring at me. Why? (strike one)

I asked an employee for WHITE CHICKS on DVD. The employee (non-arab) made me repeat it 3 or 4 times. I'm a native speaker(i mean come on!), and he made me repeat it and repeat it. In the end, he gave me a sly grin and said 'ohhh "chicks", I thought you were saying other things.'
I just glared at him and asked him politely to show me where it was. (strike 2).

When going to the cashier's counter, there were 6 cashiers. They were all crowded around talking. They saw us standing and waiting politely, and they ignored us. They were going on chatting to a bunch of people who were there on a social call then actual customers. THAT REALLY TICKED ME OFF. I then couldn't hold it and bluntly said
'EXCUSE ME!, HELLO?! DO YOU WORK HERE?'
(strike 3)

Ass holes.

Btw what’s with the smell in that mall?

MJ said...

It's so funny how they always assume we don't speak good English and when we do they give us this look. It's even worse when I'm talking on the phone. :D

and someone has to do something about the smell, the mall is great though!

BuJ said...

interesting post... i think the concept of free country does not exist. you're free in your thoughts and beliefs but you're not free in your actions.. even in the country that spreads democracy and freedom around the world (the usa, harr harr harr)

there's an old arabic saying that says "kool 3ala zoo2ak bas ilbes 3ala zoo2 el naas" which translates to "eat what you fancy but dress with whatever other people fancy". this is particularly apt in a muslim country.

the vatican for example doesn't allow shorts or bare-shoulders to be worn or shown respectively. i've never heard of someone going in the vatican in a short, then when being stopped they claimed it's a free country. what a joke.

the concept of a free country does not exist. there are laws, and they should be respected.

next time u see a badly dressed woman (i don't know how u can call her a lady) then dress her up to your "zoo2" by splashing paint perhaps on her white underwear so it matches her jeans :)

MJ said...

Someone suggested to take a sling shot with us next time we go to the mall.

BUT I think paint guns are more fun! :D

Arabized said...

we were discussing bringing paint ball guns and shooting anyone that was dressed inappropiatly. When we entered the mall of the emirates, everybody was like 'OH WE FORGOT THE PAINTBALL GUNS' lmao.

and btw american foreign policy is different then domestic policy. So the girl who said that was prolly ameirca because who else uses the term 'ITS A FREE COUNTRY' besides americans? She should realize, 'little girl you aint in america, so you best shutup before being busted up'. America can't really protect you once you are off american territory. You are on your own, and the only haven you have is at the embassy. So your claim of freedom of speech or freedom of whatever (rights) are only in the US.

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » »