Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Domestic help! my ...

Why would a woman leave her country and come to work in a country she barely knows anything about? Why would she leave her family and the town she never left in her life to travel for hours in a plane she has never been in before? Why would she go toward a life she knows nothing about? Why would she go work for someone she doesn't know or even speak the same language as him/her?

She would only do that because she needs to do so, because she has to go make money for her family, children and herself. I grew up being told that they are poor and that maids left their families so we should make them feel at home. First thing a maid is told when she comes to our house is that she is not allowed to 'touch' any of the kids because that's the mother's job. We knew we had maids to help in the house so my mother would have more time to spend with the children. How did affect the person I'm now?

I always thought that it has nothing with the person I'm now, because I know how to do everything myself I just don't help around the house because there are maids who are paid to do that, I just know everything and if the situation needed, I will help; I was always so sure of that. I grew up and met people and made friends and realized that not everyone lives the way I do, my friends started calling me spoiled and lazy, some family members started calling me that too, which made me stop and think, and I'm still thinking.

People who look from the outside at a certain class of people might think differently, but I feel I know why many people have maids the way they do. It is not about 'needing' the help; why would three people need a domestic staff of 20? It is not about 'the help' because the maids are not helping anyone, they are doing the job; they are raising the kids, and running the house in short.

These people have maids because of their prestige and to tell people they have a certain number of maids, because they are too lazy to get their own water or take their own clothes from the closet. These people are SPOILED (with a caps lock!) and sick, because someone who does something only to show people IS a sick person. The main idea of a maid is to help someone and to make life easier, not to run every single detail of the house. The idea of a maid is to help around the house NOT to raise children.

Parents who hand their kids to the maid from the first day should know that when their children grow they will understand that, that their parents didn't take care of them, that the maid is the one who raised them and spent time with them, and not because she love them but because she was paid to do so; these children grow up with no love surrounding them.

A maid will never love a child the way his mom or dad can love him or her, she will not have the same patience and care toward them. A mother gets tired from raising her child and might raise her voice in a moment of anger; what would someone expect from a maid who doesn't even love the child, let alone if she hates him!

I would think people would learn from the stories that we hear about maids, but each 'lady' comes and says 'oh my maid is different' how would she know? Few weeks ago, a video was showed on TV of two maids who were alone in the house with the kids and hit them, for god's sake, the video was shown on public TV, can't people just think! The mother of the kids who were hit only fired one of the maids and sent her to the police, she said she can't get rid of two because who will take care of the children! I think that is just sick, I can't believe she did that, didn't she stop herself for a minute and thought what her children will think of that, now and when they grow up, does she think they will forget? I can guarantee to her they won't.

There are a countless number of stories about maids who worked as nannies, some which I heard or saw myself. A maid will never raise a child, she only washes the child and feeds him and that's it, who will teach the child? what will a child learn from someone who doesn't speak his language and barely had any kind of education? I know many people who were raised by maids; one of them told me 'she hates her mom and wish she is dead', how cruel is that? And who is the cause of that? The mother, Father, Child, or the maid?

4 comments:

Arabized said...

I'm sorry for all those children that have to grow up in that kind of atmosphere.

BuJ said...

hmmm seems like a topic you have a lot of strong opinions about. What drove you to write this though?

I've heard a lot of bad stories about maids, not a lot of good stories though. Although I believe they are mainly good people trapped in a bad situation.

MJ said...

I'm sorry for them too, and I just pray that it will have some good effects on them, like they won't grow up to be like their parents and that they will raise their children themselves.

I see people raised by maids around me everyday(not me or my siblings!) and I know that it's not their fault, it's their parents'.

... I personally know a mother who has 6 children and she don't even know how to make a bottle or change diapers. *shoots self*

MJ said...

Hello cg and thanks for your comment.

I'm not at all against maids as domestic help, I myself grew up in a house full of them and are used to having them around to help. I just don't think they should be given the kids to raise, which is the case in so many families here.

>> a good maid can work alongside the mother to raise happy well-balanced children <<

Alongside the mother, yes. But not alone. I would encourage anyone who can afford a maid to get one if they have children, because that will help the mother spend more time with her children, which is always a good thing.

Btw, I'm not a mother, and actually too far from it, so maybe I might change my view one day? I hope not. My views are built on what I see around me every day.

thanks again for commenting and hope there would be more. :)