Friday, February 17, 2006

Thursday = Family Time

Its part of the culture here I believe, but it can be a Thursday or a Friday. In my family it's s Thursday because Friday we go back to Alain, so today was one of those Thursday's.

The only interesting part to me is not seeing family and smiling and answering the question of 'how're you?' one hundred and one times, I just like sitting and listing to the topics discussed, and the topics can be so random that I sit there not listening to what they are saying but thinking how they got to talk about that.

In the past few months, politics, economics and religions have been the main topics, like probably every other family they talked about the new cabinet and I agreed with almost everything they said except the part that some of the new ministers are not 'pure Emarati's' but originally from Iran and therefore 'Eyam' or '3eyam', I was about to slap someone when they started saying that because we all are Emarati's and we are all living in this country and we all want to give it back and make it a better place so who you great-grandmother is is not an issue, if the person is a local who wants to give to this country and is a hard worker then I would vote for him/her to be there because that person deserve it more than a Sheikh who got it only because he is a Sheikh and wants the title, not because he worked for it.

Now it's a different matter if that person doesn't deserve the position and only got it because he works for some Sheikh and would clean their *&^% if he was asked to.

Gas prices where talked about in every gathering.

Crime was one of the main topics, and it scared my mother that she said we might get a dog again. A Pakistani guy raped and killed a local woman in Sharjah and everyone knows about it so how come I didn't hear of it?

Maids and them raising kids was another issue discussed, some new stories about maids abusing kids and how women never give up, they would be talking about it and then go 'MY maid is different!'

… If they only know!

Never send your kids with the driver alone, even if boys.

If you have to work and leave your children with the maid, don't do that, take them to a nursery.

Cars and window's tints were discussed, if you are a women you can have more tint and when a police guy catch you just tell him to go talk to all the guys and then come to you because you are a woman and so has the right to it! (I'm joking but I swear that a relative did it!)

Ajman smells so bad, you can't breathe!

Cars and which ones use more petrol – Lexus's use double what a Nissan's use.

Go read the Universal Islamic Declaration of Human Rights; link is at Emarati's blog.

Philipa Gregory is one of the best authors ever – I love her books!

12 comments:

BuJ said...

you forgot to mention the usual question drills:

-how ru?
-how's school?
(if you graduate)
-how's uni?
(if you graduate)
-when will u get a job?
(if you get a job)
-how's work?
(if you're still employed)
-when will u get married?
(if you're still single and employed)
-when will we see your kids?
(if you're single and unemployed)

-we have some guests coming this evening!

MJ said...

It was more like 'how're you' ten times, and every time I reply 'Good, ElhamdelAllah' and then after few minutes they ask again and I answer the same, and then to start a conversation they go 'you lost weight!' and I look at them *so you think I was or still am fat* and say 'no, I didn't'

by this point mom wants to slap me.

Another lady would turn and stare at me in the eye and ask 'are you ok? you are yellow! (which means pale, but why do they always say yellow!'

and I say 'i'm fine' and they ask if i'm sick and only answer I can think of is 'i'm sick from THIS, I want to go home, and I didn't want to come!' but I just yawn and walk away.

and then someone would see how bored I look and ask 'how's your friend?!'

You will find that I'm a very rude person and when mom ask me about it, I just say that i'm not social.

Arabized said...

yes yes mj this always happens.

thats why an ipod comes in handy.

you can always say:

Ay candela, candela, candela, me quemo aé.
Ay candela, candela, candela, me quemo aé.

Puso un baile un jutía, para una gran diversión.
De timbalero un ratón, que alegraba el
campo un día.
Un gato también venía, elegante y placentero,
'Buenas noches, compañero'
siempre dijo así el timbal
'Para alguien aquí poder tocar,
para descansar un poco'.
Salió el ratón medio loco,
'también voy a descansar'.
Y el gato en su buen bailar, bailaba un
danzón liviano.
El ratón se subió al guano, y dice
bien placentero:
¡Y ahora si quieren bailar, búsquense
otro timbalero!

im sure they will leave you alone after that

:)

Arabized said...

>>and then someone would see how bored I look and ask 'how's your friend?!'<<

HAHAHAAHA!!

BuJ said...

hi MJ, what happened to that poem you posted?

MJ said...

Hi Buj, I deleted the post because it didn't mean anything to anyone, even though I really really liked it and liked the humour in it too!

BuJ said...

Actually i didn't have the time to read it, and when i did it was gone!
I post stuff for myself, and if people want to comment then ahlan wa sahlan, not the other way round.

No commenting doesn't mean it doesn't mean anything to anyone.

MJ said...

It's not about commenting only.

I found that someone I didn't want to read my blog is reading it, I don't mind her reading it as much know. Also, we will probably start working on a project that would make this blog known to everyone (people who know who I'm in real)

bah, the teacher is going and on about whatever. *headache*

I need coffee!!

I also have two cookies in my bag!

Etafakaqna 3ala an la natafek. :D

3li said...

I love the new cabinet,.,. 3eemi? So what?

Family discussions RULE,,,Im the scandalous one in mine~!!!!

MJ said...

I'm actually not so impressed with the new cabinet, but I hope they will do a good job.

In my family discussions, i'm the one who is not always there, quiet, listening to what everyone is saying, and if I don't like what i'm saying I go 'blah blah blah' forever.

flamin said...

this is hilarious. i have the same shit going on more or less. and the car tints and woman being killed are examples of CLASSIC talks. always butting in other people's life and never minding their own business. grrrrrrr.

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! » »