Sunday, April 23, 2006

To educate them...

Education has been taking a lot of my time, not educating myself because I'm always doing that, but I have been thinking so much about the quality of the education here and how much it needs to be improved.

That take me to the topic of how much it cost, so I just did a simple calculation. If we say the tuition starts at 4000 in KG1 and then increases by 500 every year.

That will sum up to 101500 for each child.

That's impossible though because it will mean that the tuition for grade 12 is 10500 which cannot be. All the schools I know cost at least 12000 for a G12 and could go up to something more than 30,000.

Oh, books and activities where not included.

Add to that, that the quality of education is so bad that many students take extra classes which cost 100-500/hour.

When I realized how much it actually did cost my parents to educate me and my siblings, I had a talk with mom.

3 comments:

BuJ said...

interesting... the figure of DHS 4000 for KG1 is very low (for today's prices) but probably accurate when you went to KG. Also you will shocked and horrified to learn that a student will cost around DHS 100,00 a year if you decide to study in say Europe or USA (as an overseas student)...

Education is an expensive business.

What about the quality?

MJ said...

I knew it's very low but I wanted something close to an 'average'.

Education is very expensive, I'm not sure I would want to educate my kids in schools. (joking btw)

Arabized said...

the quality sucks.