Monday, April 10, 2006

What can I do?!

I have been trying to stay away from news of any kind this past week because it's just so depressing. International news about Iraq, Palestine, Terrorism, war, and death, then gulf news 'nation' section is full of negative things about this country; I'm not denying them, I just don't want to know them, I don't want to know who killed who, who rapped who, I don't want to know about all the labors here who has almost no rights, I don't want to read anything negative because I'm just so sick from it, it makes me feel so useless.

I have been deleting the daily headlines from NYtimes before I open it, then yesterday I didn't. I opened it and skimmed through all the politics only to read about a 'disease' so I thought at least in that I would gain some knowledge and started reading; I wish I didn't yet I'm glad I know about more about it.


"lymphatic filariasis, a disease in which clusters of four-inch worms as fine as
blond hairs nest in the lymph nodes, the body's drainage system, stretching them
until lymph fluid can only drain downward.
To anyone who has visited poor
tropical countries or seen pictures of the disease, the instantly recognizable
symptom, which afflicts both men and women, is elephantiasis: legs so swollen
that they resemble an elephant's."

Around 120 million people in 80 countries has the disease so you would think that people will know more about it and serious steps will be taken to eliminate the disease which experts says can be done in few generations if drugs were added to salt in the countries affected.


"In poor countries like Haiti and Guyana the disease hangs on. It does not kill,
but it crushes people's spirits and often leaves poor farmers unable to work,
which can mean starvation.
The limbs cannot be surgically drained because the
lymph fluid swells all the tissue instead of filling a pouch. The damage is
permanent, because the overstretched lymph nodes do not shrink again; the worms
eventually just die inside them.
For people with elephantiasis, big pants
will not hide their affliction. Funguses that erupt between toes stink and draw
flies. Children can be mocking. Lovers can be cruel."

Now I know why I would never have studied medicine, I can't stand reading about diseases and thinking of how much pain the people are in and I feel useless yet again.

I think every person should give something to people who are in such situations, donate money and if you don't have that then maybe an act of kindness that will brighten someone's day. Or go donate blood!

This is the link to the article, you can also see some pictures.

4 comments:

Arabized said...

Have you seen the movie 'the elephant man'? The main character in the movie has the same disease you read about.

If you haven't seen it, you should watch it. (The movie is pretty old)

I was suprised to find out that many people actually have this disease, i thought it was quite rare....

MJ said...

I should have checked the movie on the weekend. forgot. Bah. :/

Arabized said...

oh! i forgot also. that would be a great movie to watch, it use to scare the crap out of me when i was younger.

. said...

I only read headlines, i don't go through details much if i do i don't bother myself any more. It's good to keep your mind clear.