Thursday, June 22, 2006

Dorothy Parker

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity."
- Dorothy Parker

I have never studied poetry and I don't think I ever well, but I do enjoy reading it a lot and Dorothy Parker is the poet tonight. Even though she was crazy and tried to commit suicide and all – she's fun! And aren't all the great poets depressed, sad and weird?
Finis
Now it's over, and now it's done;
Why does everything look the same?
Just as bright, the unheeding sun, --
Can't it see that the parting came?
People hurry and work and swear,
Laugh and grumble and die and wed,
Ponder what they will eat and wear, --
Don't they know that our love is dead?

Just as busy, the crowded street;
Cars and wagons go rolling on,
Children chuckle, and lovers meet, --
Don't they know that our love is gone?
No one pauses to pay a tear;
None walks slow, for the love that's through, --
I might mention, my recent dear,
I've reverted to normal, too.


Many of her poems are full of emotions and meaning that the reader would feel with her but then she would end it with a line or two that just makes me smile.

Observation


If I don't drive around the park,
I'm pretty sure to make my mark.
If I'm in bed each night by ten,
I may get back my looks again,
If I abstain from fun and such,
I'll probably amount to much,
But I shall stay the way I am,
Because I do not give a damn.

Distance

Were you to cross the world, my dear,
To work or love or fight,
I could be calm and wistful here,
And close my eyes at night.
It were a sweet and gallant pain
To be a sea apart;
But, oh, to have you down the lane
Is bitter to my heart.

3 comments:

3li said...

3athab,,, that last poem is pure torture... A sweet agony nonetheless.

Great poems, are you a fan of poetry?

Arab Lady said...

loved the first two...they r really wonderful...u raised my curiosity to start reading her poems

MJ said...

Thanks to both of you for passing by!

3lo, I can say I enjoy poetry but not a real fan because some poetry I'm just not interested in.

arablady,
Observation is a poem of it's kind, I might just write it on a poster on my room for parents to read every time they come in.