Thursday, June 15, 2006

Three reads

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
Was, generally speaking, an interesting and funny read with lots of sarcasm and jokes about simple things in life that make you think more about those things and why are we doing them. Even though, sometimes while reading that book I was like 'what's the point of all this?!'
It's not a favorite book and a good read of you like these kind of books. There were some parts that I wanted to type here because I liked them but I gave it to a friend so maybe some other time.

Middlesex: A Novel -- by Jeffrey Eugenides
I decided to read this book because of many recommendations and the awards it won – I was disappointed by it to the point that I didn't finish it; I was disgusted.
So maybe the topic of the book is weird but I just couldn't read after I found that the girl/boy is like that because her/his grandparents were siblings – I find that a very sick thing, so I didn't read it…

The curious incident of the dog in the night-time by Mark Haddon
Almost finished with it and I'm loving the book and it sure is going to be added to my 'recommend to everyone' list. The 15 years old boy in the book has Asperger's Syndrome and when you read the book you understand exactly how he's thinking. Also, when I was reading some of the reviews on the book some people with the same problem said that that book is the best one that describes exactly how they think.
Basically, they can only understand facts and give facts and they have a very unusual way of reasoning things. He doesn't understand metaphor and he can't lie too, because to answer a question truthfully you only have one option but to lie you have infinite options. For example, if he had cereals of breakfast and someone asked him what did he have, he can either say that or lie. If he lie he can say anything starting with 'I had pancakes' or 'I had a burger in New York' or I had "a monkey in china"*** and there're an infinite number of options that his mind can't handle.

*** These are options I made up not from the book.

5 comments:

Arabized said...

MJ!
how are ya?

i didnt like me talk pretty one day, it gave me a headache. it was as if the guy had A.D.D and just jotted down random stuff. no structure whatsoever.

i didnt find anything in it funny.

the rest, havent read yet.

my reading time has been slowed, the vast amount of projects im over taking. god help me.

BUT I MISS EVERYONE IN THE UAE.
i send my salamz[PEACE]

1234dsfs said...

I thought you were watching the world cup and supporting Brazil (bcoz they are your relatives)..

That was quick - three books. I havent read any, but hope to start when I get time, I had quit long ago..


Happy Reading :)

Arabized: Nice to see you around :)

MJ said...

Biz! What's up! Believe me you're not missing anything. IT'S SO FREAKING HOT IN HERE!

ahmed! what's up! yup, you should read something, I can give few suggestions but you don't want me to start talking about that...

Arabized said...

i do miss it actually!
can you believe that my parents are more flexible in the uae than they are here?

they are driving me crazy.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. desktop sports ticker Bingo free online Pitures of eczema