Sunday, June 18, 2006

Notes on 'reading Lolita in Tehran'

(This was written Friday night)

I don't usually feel comfortable readings books that might insult or criticize Islam in anyway but this book is different; this is Iran.
I have only read 44 pages so far and therefore I'm not going to judge the book (even though I can say I'm enjoying reading it) but here are some things I felt like writing that the book made me think of:

Reading a book is something, writing about the book is something (I'm really bad at that!) and discussing the book with others who read it is something else. That's my favorite part, because then you noticed things and think more deeply about what you have read, and all that turn reading any book into a learning experience.


Iran scares me and I don't know much about it, it has always been like this mystery throughout my life and I guess it's time to read and learn more about its history and culture.


Is freedom doing what you believe is right, or doing what your family and society think is right? Or maybe it's what your family and society think is not right. On of the women in the book used to wear the veil before the revolution and even though she was different, it was what she believed in. after the revolution, when all women were forced to wear it, she said it lost its meaning to her because nothing any longer is about what you believe in or what you think – it's about what you do to survive.
It's like in KSA where everyone is covered, but look at Saudi's when they go abroad – they go overboard with what they wear. I'm not saying we don't have this problem here, but at least it's much better.

7 comments:

Esperanza said...

I read few pages from "Reading Lolita in Tehran" I couldn't get myself to finish it! I might try reading it again sometime this summer! Anyways, try reading "Persepolis" it's a memoir and about Iran.

Anonymous said...

i'm reading it two, allot of the things that they tell u about iran , in the book, are true according to my irany friends.

i've reached page 57 and i don't think i'll continue.

there is just too much to take in. it talks so much about the novels that i think if i read any more my brain will blow a fuse.

MJ said...

It might be a slow read but I'm not giving up.

I will remember Persepolis next time I'm in the mood for more about Iran. Thanks.

MJ said...

No! You have to finish reading it. and anyways, the second part (Gatsby) is more interesting and they don't talk about the books much but talk about when the revolution first started.

It's one of the issues I'm having while reading it - I haven't read some of the books.

Arab Lady said...

U should watch the Iranian film “The Circle” it discusses the situation of women in the Iranian society…it criticizes the society, tradition, and the culture that drive women crazy…its really very touchy and it got a very shocking end….

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
secretdubai said...

Is freedom doing what you believe is right

This. Because at the end of the day we will all be judged by our own hearts and our own consciences. Even religious leaders and scholars can get things wrong: no one on earth can claim perfect understanding of anything.

So while we may want to look to society/parents/teachers for guidance, it is down to each individual to decide. We all die alone, we all face our Maker alone.