Saturday, June 17, 2006

Small things

One of the most special memories I had growing up is staying up all night in the summer just to hear all the Adhans from the different masjids – in a way it was a scary, but also very calming and I loved it.

I forgot that and only remembered it this weekend, as I was up at Fajr and heard all the Adhans and I couldn't stop but smile and was so happy to hear it and then realized that I have missed it living in Alain and Dubai – I was in Ajman.

Some time ago, all 'adhans' in Alain where unified, then some time after they were not allowed using the outside microphones for Fajr prayer, when I asked why they did that, I was told that they did it because there're people who are not Muslim or people who don't pray and it's disturbing for them.

Friday morning I was thinking of that and how our country is turning into such a globalized place and even the small things that defined it and made it special are taken day after day – is that what we want it to turn to?

These thoughts were not about prayers or anything in particular, just in general, if small things from our culture are cancel because they would disturb others, then what would be special about it? Aren't the small things what add up to define something?

It would end up being like eating pizza with no tomato sauce or cheese.

3 comments:

Arabized said...

so true!

remember our professor who went back to the states and said that they missed hearing the adhans!

and without cheese or sauce, it wouldnt be pizza.

Arabized said...

i remember the first day i got to the uae, and im sitting in my hotel room and then i heard the adhan coming from all the masjids around me.

it was magically.

MJ said...

Yeah, it might look like a pizza, but it won't be a pizza.